I found an article today from Changing the Game Project and felt it highlighted an important reminder for everyone involved in youth sports. 5 warnings that your child may be in a program that focuses on short term success and not long term excellence development.
- Your team emphasis games over practice.
- Coaches select & focus on “talent” for short term gain rather than developing all athletes.
- Coaches make cuts & create all-star teams make youth sports elitist.
- Your team requires year round participation.
- Your coach implements strategies for short term success rather than long term skill development.
“Our obsession with winning is the enemy of excellence in youth sports!”
Take a look at the full article at http://changingthegameproject.com/the-enemy-of-excellence-in-youth-sports – sometimes a few tweaks in a program and being involved as parents can go a long way!
Doug DeVries has been working in youth basketball for over 25 years. He has a passion to see sports in balance in life, for kids to thrive in sports, and for parents to enjoy the entire process.