The process can be overwhelming. Here is a quick over of the types of offers your son or daughter may get from a school.
- Full-ride Scholarship: Will cover the major costs of attending college. It will include tuition, room & board, books and some course fees. It is a one-year commitment typically.
- Partial Scholarship: Typically a one-year commitment and will cover a portion of the costs of attending college.
- Preferred Walk-On: This means the coach would like you on the team but cannot offer any financial assistance at least for the first year. This is a great opportunity to earn your spot on the official roster.
- Recruited Walk-On: Similar to a Preferred Walk-On.
- Un-Recruited Walk-On: Similar to a Preferred Walk-On.
For more reference info visit: http://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/walk-on-vs-scholarship
Not sure about “red shirt”, “grayshirt”, and “blueshirt” options? Check out http://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/walk-on-vs-scholarship
Doug DeVries has been working in youth basketball for over 25 years. He has a passion to see sports in balance in life, for kids to thrive in sports, and for parents to enjoy the entire process.